Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Satisfied

(c) Jill Ann Terwilliger, 2009


Satisfied

for Joe


… having taken the five loaves and the two fishes, he looked up to heaven, and blessed: and having broken the loaves, he gave to the disciples, and the disciples to the crowds. And all ate and were filled …

Mathew 14:19-20

Darby Translation


So Jesus, isn’t it about time for some loaves and fishes again?

Won’t you come, now and

bless the jobs and break them

that all may work

bless the paychecks and break them

that all debts be paid

bless the earth and make it whole

that all may live and breathe?


Or, did I get that miracle wrong.

Is the miracle not that the loaves were multiplied but

That the people were satisfied

filled by the portion they received

filled by the blessing it carried?


It is so easy to be dissatisfied.

prestige beckons

and storybook love

and parenting with perfect equanimity

and the latest design of melamine plates from Target.


Now I pray:

May I be satisfied.

May I be satisfied.


“But, but, but…” stutters a friend

“Don’t you want your life to be

more

better

as good as it can be?”


“It is a miracle,” I say,

“Beyond my ken.

I eat

And taste the blessing.”

No comments: